- 1 (5 to 6 pound) roasting chicken
- black pepper
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1/2 orange, quartered (or smaller to fit it in)
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise (no need to peel)
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted
- 4-5 Russet or Yukon Potatoes cut into large cubes
- 3 sweet potatoes cut into large cubes
- 4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 bulb of fennel, tops removed, and cut into wedges
- Olive oil
- garlic powder
- Johnny's seasoning salt
1) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.2) Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry with paper towel.
3) Liberally salt and pepper (roughly 1.5 TBLSP of salt and 1-2 tsp pepper) the inside of the chicken. 4) Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, rosemary, lemon, orange, and all the garlic.
5) Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper.
6) Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
7) Place the rest of the ingredients in a roasting pan. Toss with 2 TBLSP olive oil, 1 tsp of garlic powder and 1 tsp Johnny's seasoning salt.
8) Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top. (make sure your roasting pan isn't too big or else some of the veggies might burn)
9) Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. 10) Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. (this is essential to get the juices to go back into the chicken and make it moist!!) Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables.