Monday, March 19, 2012

Taiwan Day 7: Jiufen

 Day 7 started out more relaxed than the other days.  We got up, ate a little breakfast, hung around till about 9-9:30-ish, and then took a taxi to Jiufen.  Jiufen has apparently grown in the last 12 years into a HUGE tourist spot.  There is an old gold mine there with a gold museum that I unfortunately didn't get to go to because it was raining.  BUT, the other part of Jiufen is the shopping and the food!  This is better than any night market I have ever been to AND it has quite the fun atmosphere!  The streets are narrow and old and there are shops upon shops that are fun and unique.  I bought most of my presents here and I will definitely make it a point to come back here next time.
 The shopping/food area is right on top of a hill and the views are gorgeous.
 These are Ocarinas are so fun.  This shop was full of them and they had a guy there that plays it beautifully. There were kitties, puppies, ducks, birds, turtles, helicopters,airplanes, trains, cars, etc.  I have never seen so many different shapes of ocarinas before.  I almost bought one for Luke as a present, but he said he didn't want one.
 The characters on the lanterns say: Jiufen Mountain City
 Streets of Jiufen
So we shopped and we shopped till it was lunch time.  We ate at a nice little tea house and I got a nice bowl of super authentic beef noodle soup.  I LOVE beef noodle soup and I am so glad that I got to have it in Taiwan.  After lunch we shopped a bit more, and then we took the taxi back to Gina's.  We got to Gina's around 4pm and then I took off by myself to go buy the DVD players for my brothers and I; walked back to Taipei 101 for a few more things, and then I went back to Gina's by about 6:30pm.  I figured if I got home around then no one would worry.  We had dinner at the house cooked by Gina's mother in law.  Gina's MIL lives with them and helps take care of her two children since both Gina and her husband work full time.
After dinner I hung out, got on my cousin Victor's laptop and emailed, watched some anime with Gina's kids, and rearranged all my luggage and packed up most things since I was leaving the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment