Thursday, September 1, 2011

First Day of School

The big day finally came and went. Lily was so excited for school. We got up in the morning, got dressed in the outfit we picked out the night before, I made her a nice little breakfast (egg with bacon and cheese on toast), did her hair, and then Luke and I took her to the bus stop right in front of our house. Even though the school is only 1/2 a mile away, Lily gets to ride the school bus because we live on such a busy street. I LOVE that the bus literally stops right in front of our house.

I had my moment of excitement and sadness, but it could only lasted for a second, because I then drove myself to her school to drop off baked goods for a PTA tea and help with safety patrol. I didn't just take Lily because the school district suggests that if your child will be riding the bus to let her do so the first day. I had signed up to help because the day before school started, the PTA sent out an urgent call for volunteers and I saw that no one was volunteering. It was also a way for me to transition into a student mom. It made me feel better being there, knowing that I was on campus with Lily even though she didn't know it. Everyone thanked me and thought it was so great that I am diving in and helping out already, but to be quite honest, I volunteered because it made me feel better and made me more comfortable, and it definitely curbed the crying. ;)

Lily has half day Kindergarten, so at 11:53 I went back out to the street to meet her because the buses won't drop Kindergartners off unless there's a parent waiting. Arya and I sat anxiously waiting for her to come. At about 12:10 I was worried and wondered if she got lost or if I missed her bus. The bus finally arrived at around 12:15 and she was beaming as she got off. I heard many little voices happily saying goodbye to her and I knew she had made friends already.

She told me all about her first day - about recess, songs she learned, snack time, how she made 3 friends - 1 boy and 2 girls. She calls her friend boy her boy friend so it was kind-of funny. She told me that she could not wait for tomorrow, and I call that a VERY successful first day! :)




2 comments:

  1. Hooray for a smooth transition for everyone. What a cutie pie she is! I love that last shot of the bus driving away. So touching. Congrats on making it through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so cute. Great job volunteering right away! Great pictures of the bus.

    ReplyDelete