Monday, October 3, 2011

Plum Creations #1 -- Plum Tatin

When I work out at the gym, I normally watch the food network channel.  It always seems somewhat counter-productive to me, but what can I say, I LOVE food!  I'm normally there while "The Barefoot Contessa" is showing.  Ina always seems to have recipes that are delicious and not too incredibly difficult to make. 
A couple weeks ago, Ina demonstrated how to make a "Plum Tatin," which is basically a fancy plum upside-down cake.  I had all the ingredients at home, including home-grown plums, so I just had to try it!  It was a GREAT success!  I was quite proud of myself and everyone enjoyed it :o).
Here's the link for the recipe if anyone is interested: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/plum-cake-tatin-recipe/index.html.
I did make a few changes after reading the reviews; Instead of 1 cup sugar in the sugar/water mix I only used 2/3 cup sugar in a little less than 1/3 cup water; in the cake itself I only used about 2/3 cup of sugar; I used roughly 1 tsp of lemon zest instead of 1/2 tsp... sorry, I don't measure exactly a lot of the times when I cook... just something I picked up when I first learned how to cook from my dad back when I was 11.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah Zeke rarely measures either. It drives my mom insane cause she wants a recipe so she can recreate what he makes, lol. Nice to find out it's a family thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so fun to see what you are doing in your family. You have beautiful children!!

    And those plums look wonderful.

    --Aunt Rosemary

    ReplyDelete